Professional Association Activities
Project Management Institute (PMI):
- Founding Trustee, 1969 (one of six, PMI Member No. 6.)
- National Vice President and Program Chair of the first PMI Seminar/Symposium in St. Louis, 1970
- President, Southern California Chapter, 1991 & 1992;
- PMI Fellow, listed in thePMI Hall of Leaders.
- Jim O’Brien Lifetime Achievement Award in 2006 by the PMI College of Scheduling.
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMP) No. 277.
- Member and Director at Large, PMI College of Scheduling (now PMI Scheduling Community of Practice.)
- Member, PMI Mexico City Chapter.
Russ Archibald is an unacknowledged Co-Founder of PMI: He participated in two pre-formation discussions with fellow Co-Founders Eric Jenett and Jim Snyder in New Orleans in 1968 and 1969 and was one of the six Founding Trustees prior to PMI incorporation. Business obligations in Brazil, where he presented the first of a number of PM seminars at PETROBRAS, took him from Atlanta the night of October 10, 1969, so his name was not included in the formal PMI incorporation papers. The Oct. 11 1969 Trustee Minutes indicate that “Messrs. Archibald and King were absent and unable to attend; Mr. Archibald has verbally assigned his voting rights to Mr. Jenett the previous evening….” Thus, “Russ Archibald is an ex-officio, not enumerated (but acknowledged as member #6) PMI Co-Founder,” in the opinion of Co-Founder, Eric Jenett.
Russ presented the first paper at the first formation meeting of PMI October 9-10, 1969, at Georgia Tech in Atlanta, GA, USA.:
“Planificar, Calendarizar y Controlar los Esfuerzos
de los Trabajadores del Conocimiento”
“Wanted: A Better Understanding of Project Management,” keynote paper at the 2nd Annual PMI Seminar & Symposium, in Houston, TX, in 1971, and at many subsequent PMI national and international symposia, congresses and PMI chapter meetings in several countries.
Go to Speaker Page to see those papers and presentations.
- Member, IPMA/INTERNET Board of Directors, 1979-1990
- Russ presented the Keynote Paper at the Third International Congress of IPMA/INTERNET 72 in Stockholm, Sweden, May 15-19 1972, titled Management Information Systems for Projects and for Organizations: A Comparitive Overview.”
- Russ also presented keynote papers at IPMA Congresses in Birmingham, UK, 1976; Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany, 1979; and Florence, Italy, 1992 (see Speaker Page.)
Association of Project Management/APM (U.K.),
a member association of the IPMA:
- Honorary Fellow (originally founding Member No. 3 of APM)
asapm: American Association for the Advancement of Project Management,
a member association of IPMA:
- Founding Member
SOVNET, Moscow, Russia, a member association of IPMA:
- Honorary Member
- Honorary Member
Certified Management Consultant (CMC) 1984-1994
Institute of Management Consultants, USA
Fellow, the Institute for the Advancement of Engineering.
Who’s Who in the World, 1984-85
Who’s Who in Industry and Finance, 1984-85